Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Why I can no longer stand Bill Maher...

To me, part of what makes a person smart is an ability to weigh pros and cons and make their own informed decision about something...an ability to recognize a valid point in an argument that opposes their own.

Years ago, when I used to watch Politically Incorrect, Bill Maher was a bit more moderate and because of this, I agreed with him much more often than I do now.
In agreeing with him, I failed to see how closed-minded he is. Regardless of whether or not someone has a valid point, he doesn't consider it. He just keeps talking.
I really feel like the Bush administration ruined him.
He calls himself a libertarian, but it's obvious he's now extremely left wing. It's like he's gone off his rocker.
A lot of people don't like that he attacks religion and I don't care about that. What bothers me is that he's now embracing the silliest arguments and generalizing, attaching them to tons of people and labeling them all republicans and suddenly all conservatives are the enemy on every issue.
This video really bothered me.


Why do people insist that people who support the tea parties are all racists?

I think it's a stupid analogy because it's not taxation without representation, as we do have representatives, but to me it's as if the current administration is labeling those who don't want to pay high taxes racist as an attempt to scare these citizens into keeping quiet and discredit them, and Hollywood fell for this hook, line, and sinker.
If these groups of citizens, which included democrats, independents, libertarians, and republicans alike were simply to adopt the "Don't Tread on Me" flag as their symbol, would one of the great symbols of American liberty suddenly be considered a racist symbol?

I get my news from PJTV, a moderate website, not Fox, not CNN...and they interview plenty of black people at these tea party conventions.
Could they really all hate their own race?

I doubt it.
It insults our intelligence and it really burns my toast.

5 comments:

  1. his crack about Palin made me laugh, but when he dissed Ralph Kramden, he REALLY got on my bad side!!! say what you want, but dont be dissing the Honeymooners and more importantly he totally misses the point about Ralph's so -called threats of violence to Alice anyway. and the audience didnt buy into it so he resorted to the worst trick of a comic, simple vulgarity.
    my big worry with this country is when the hell did the thoughts and opinions of a fucking stand up comedian start to matter?!?!?

    burnt toast indeed....i think we need to scrape it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yeah, I don't care about Palin either, but it really wasn't the best comparison. I mean, I don't think Obama was born in Kenya, but he almost seems to imply that he's not an American Citizen, but Sarah Palin's stupid, so the right and left are even. It was weird joke.

    And you're right.
    It's not like he actually hit Alice. Sitcoms haven't really evolved that much. We still have those kinds of jokes. I don't consider it misogyny, just marriage;)
    And most libertarians support the tea parties and they don't long for the 1950s, more like the 1850s when people still respected the constitution.

    Eww, I know.
    It bothers me when people take advice from celebrities in general. Like...what does Clooney know?
    He didn't even finish school.

    Anyway, thanks for backing me up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. not to turn this into a thing about the Honeymooners but the thing about Ralph Kramden is that he was a working Joe who had a lousy job, and no one ever paid any attention to him and when he got home he had to blow off some steam, and he needed to feel important. that's why he talked to his wife the way he did. i dont think any male character in the history of television ever loves his wife more than Ralph Kramden! Gleason himself said if the audience ever for one second thought Ralph would EVER actually hit his wife they would have hated him. in the 1960's they did another version of the show with a diff Alice and Trixie and in rehearsals the new Alice would cry when Ralph yelled at her. Gleason asked her why she was crying ans she said "My Alice cries" and he said "if you cry they'll hate me and the show wont work!" Gleason was no dummy. i took great offence at Bill Maher's comment about that as if you cant tell, lol!

    i never thought he was funny anyway!

    if Sarah palin is stupid what does that say for all those people out there in the audiences at those campaings shaking their heads YES in unison like a bunch of bobble heads while she dolled out her nonsensical drivel?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, zing.

    I could say them same about Bill's audience;)

    ReplyDelete