Thursday, February 11, 2010

What's not to like?

You ever get the feeling some people just disagree with you to piss you off?

Don't get me wrong, I hate people who agree with everything I say out of a lack of personality or a need to appease, but the need to be contrary or play the Devil's Advocate at all times really bugs me.

My brother's been doing that to me for a few years now.
His taste used to mirror mine in film and music. Not so anymore. The influence of others over his impressionable personality ruined him and now he seems to disagree with me on everything.
Once we were both naturalists. Some of my favorite movies to watch in the house were his.
One lousy girlfriend later, I was the only one watching them, and he only watches escapist films.
It seems like whenever I really love something now, he makes his best effort to hate it.
Ex. I loved Rilo Kiley.
He said, "I don't like that talk-singing, storyteller crap."
Therefore, he never listened to Jenny Lewis and when I transitioned into liking folk, he was left behind.

What bothers me most, I think, is that when I really like an actor or actress, he says he doesn't like them and when I start liking one he likes, he claims not to like them anymore.
When we were younger, we both watched Beautiful Girls a lot, and when Episode I came out, he developed a huge crush on Natalie Portman.
For years, I looked up to her, but when Garden State and Closer came out and he couldn't like them because they conflicted with his Anti-naturalism thing, my liking of her surpassed his. All of the sudden, he's not so big on Natalie Portman and I am.

He doesn't like Emily Blunt, Evangeline Lilly, Angelina Jolie, and Evan Rachel Wood because of my obsession with them.
He has said complimentary things about them and he does watch their movies, but claims not to like them to bug me, or because he's weirded out by how much I like them.

I once noted that Scarlett Johansson, Natalie Portman, Evan Rachel Wood, and Jennifer Connelly were Jewish.
He said, "I must like Jewish girls."
I replied, "Me too."
He just smiled and shook his head.

When watching Sunshine Cleaning with my parents, my mom told my dad, "Mike loves the redhead."
I replied, "Ash loves the brunette."
Mike later said, "You have to stop saying you love girls."

He's just going to have to get over the fact that I do have girl crushes and we happen to have the same taste in women, haha.
I don't know if he's uncomfortable because he's "worried about me" or because he's insecure.

I'm forcing him to see Wolfman with me this weekend.
Oh and just because I said he was great in Things We Lost in the Fire, he says he doesn't like Benicio del Toro.

Really burns my toast!






What's not to like?

2 comments:

  1. Natalie is so ungodly gorgeous it's not even funny. When i watch Attack of the Clones i end up just sighing through half of it...*sigh*

    i dont like people who disagree/contradict just for the sake of it. my sister can be like that quite often with me...i always say to her if you ever once agreed with anything i ever said i think i'd have a heart attack!

    oh well.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps it's a sibling thing then.

    We both enjoyed Wolfman.
    That's one thing we agreed on;)

    ReplyDelete