Sunday, September 12, 2010

Write what you know. Write what you know. Write what you know...

Physical abuse, rape, murder, grief, lust, love, suicide...
I've written about all of these things, but do I really know anything about them?
Not really.

I wouldn't call myself a person who is not easily inspire and last night, I experienced a flash of inspiration, something that convinced me to change the way I was doing things.
I finished the first chapter of my novel and I am now writing "what I know," for the first time in my life.
Yes, a more extreme version of what I know, because it wouldn't be interesting otherwise, but what I know just the same.

I was worried about the way I was executing it in the beginning, but I think it's coming together in a way I like now. I'm not sure if a unique quality is good or bad in this case, but I have a good feeling about this one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
^ This is the imaginary line of songdom.
No one reads these blogs, in part because I have never promoted them. I thought I would start, but knowing that so many people around me hate my songs and poems, and they should, I thought I'd create an imaginary line of song/poemdom, so if they want to stop reading, they can.

Okay...new one.
Written about five seconds ago.

I can’t read your mind
I wish I could
It’d be best for both of us if you could say
What you want not what you should

I dream in pale whites
And vivid reds
In ‘maybe tomorrow’s
And ‘should’ve said’s

Your mind is plagued by thoughts
Of someone it shouldn’t be
But it’s not me
No, it’s not me

Take those words and let them out
’Cause I don’t care if they hurt me
When you keep them all inside
It’s not just them that can’t be free

I don’t know what you need
And you won’t tell me
And trying to make you
Is born of my greed

I keep things to myself
You’re not the only one
When the truth is surfacing
I’m the type to run

We’re two of a kind
What can we do
When you’re the best of me
And I’m the worst of you

We could take our words and let them out
And hope the truth would set us free
When we keep them all inside
It’s hurting you, it’s hurting me

Let’s take our words and let them out
And hope the truth will set us free
When we keep them all inside
It’s hurting you, it’s hurting me

2 comments:

  1. Marvelous! Best of luck to you in your writing endeavors. Whenever people mention anything to do with writing what they know, I'm reminded of Louisa May Alcott. Well, actually I'm reminded of Noni playing Louisa May Alcott. But still. Worked out well enough for her, I think. Louisa May, I mean. Noni...not so much. But I digress.

    I really like that song as well, and I know I generally ask-- but you really should put it to music. This one would lend itself particularly well to it, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louisa May Alcott...ROAR.
    "Little Women" is one of my most hated books.
    That's another rare example of me liking a movie way better than the book.
    Girl, Interrupted too...you think Winona has that power? ;)

    But, I need an Elton John:(
    I tried to get guitar software so that I could compose my own music, but it gave my computer a virus.
    I need to work with a guitarist.

    ReplyDelete