Monday, June 7, 2010

Tell me something true...

The truth is a nasty cough syrup no one wants to have to taste.
But I thrive on its bitterness.
I take too much and it lives in me, shutting me down, little by little.
A noble death.

I knew a man who seemed to like me, who in fact, could not seem to leave me alone.
He disagreed with everything I said and not even passionately, as he had no reasons to support his disproval of my ideas, my likes, and my dislikes.
I loathed him.

I see now that in part, what I hate in him is what I hate in myself…a resilient stubbornness.
I am in pain today at the thought of hating myself more than usual.
But my stubbornness is different from his.
Mine is not free of passion.
Is it wrong to defend a belief to the death when you feel strongly about something, to try and make credible arguments until you’re blue in the face?
Is it wrong to not give up when you think something is truly important…even when there may be no hope of convincing your opponent?

I am not so closed-minded as to be immune to the convincing arguments of others.
Am I then just the right amount of stubborn or am I indeed closed-minded, but cannot see it?

2 comments:

  1. a lot depends on your opponent. i have found that as i get older i choose them much more wisely. a person who disapproves of everything you say but can not give a vaild reason for it is simply an idiot and not worth wasting your time on. most likely that person harbors an inferiority complex and has a need to tear their opponent down a peg so they can feel better about themselves.

    anyway it sounds to me like you're just the right amount of stubborn :)

    ReplyDelete